Sunday, October 12, 2014

Homemade Ketchup

Awhile back I found Wellness Mama's recipe for homemade ketchup.  I've tried others in the past, but this one is the best (http://wellnessmama.com/4999/homemade-ketchup/).


Let me break down how I've adapted the recipe for you.


Ingredients:
  • 3 cans of Tomato Paste (find one without citric acid...also she doesn't tell you the size...I used 24oz total).
  • 1/2 cup vinegar (make sure you use clear distilled vinegar...all others cause migraines)
  • 1 tsp organic garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup organic spring onions diced
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Grandma's unsulphured molasses
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp organic dried mustard powder
  • 1 pinch of the following; organic cinnamon, cloves and cayenne
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp chia seeds- I did not put them in powder form first
I used a blender, but you could use a food processor, blend all the ingredients until smooth.  Here is where I differ with the method.  You could put it in freezer or fridge at this point, but I transferred it to the stove and brought it to a boil and then simmered it on low for about 15 minutes.  My OB GYN suggested doing this because when you heat tomatoes you bring out their natural lycopene, which is good for fighting off cancer. 


This usually makes 3 of the small Ball glass jars.  I keep one in the fridge until it is gone and I freeze the rest until needed.  Yummy!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment