Monday, April 15, 2013

Dominic's Chicken Meatballs...as adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Ok...I promised you I would go back and adapt old recipes that I previously posted making sure they are now MSG free and migraine free.  So here is my new adaption to my son's favorite Chicken Meatballs with pasta.  I'm going to leave my message below that explains my original inspiration for this recipe.  Enjoy!
Awhile back my son wasn't eating anything, especially vegetables and protein.  So thinking that maybe it was a texture thing, and knowing that he likes regular meatballs (made with ground beef), I thought I would try out some chicken meatballs.  That's when I found Giada's recipe for Orecchiette with Mini Chicken Meatballs.  First obstacle was that I didn't have any ground chicken and I refuse to buy meat at the local grocery store.  Simple solution...I pulled out my Kitchen Aid mixer and attached my meat grinder attachment and some organic chicken breasts I had and "POW!" I got ground chicken.  Second obstacle was that I don't eat any cheese accept ricotta and cream cheese and Giada's recipe called for parmesan and mozzarella.  Easy enough, I just omitted both of them.  Probably just added a different taste component and texture to the recipe (sorry Giada if you think I ruined your recipe).  And lastly I didn't have cherry tomatoes.  Oh well...a can of diced tomatoes drained worked great. 
So here is the recipe as I made it...feel free to think Giada's is better, but my husband, son, mother-in-law and I loved them...and its the closest thing I can get to sausage (another food I can't have)...yes I'm a pain in the butt...there I said it!
 
Dominic's Chicken Meatballs (As inspired by Giada):
 
1 pound medium or small shell pasta (I use Barilla)
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs (I made my own from the ends of my loafs of bread.  This is recipe for bread)
1/4 cup dried parsley (preferably from your own organic garden)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Organic Pasteurized Whole Milk
1 tablespoon homemade ketchup
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground chicken (I ground my own from organic boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying
1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock (I use Tyler Florence's recipe minus the turnip)
1 28 ounce can Bionaturae Diced Tomatoes in their juice, lightly drained See Label Here.
About 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil leaves
 
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.  Add the pasta and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite. 
 
In a medium bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, eggs, milk, ketchup, and the salt and pepper.  Add the chicken and gently stir to combine. 
 
Using a melon baller or a teaspoon measure (I just guessed size and made them without measuring), form the chicken mixture into 3/4 inch pieces.  Roll the chicken pieces into mini meatballs.
 
In a large 14 inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Working in batches, add the meatballs and cook without moving until brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.  Turn the meatballs over and brown the other side, about 2 minutes longer.  After all of the meatballs are cooked, return them to the pan and add the chicken stock and diced tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped basil.  Enjoy!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment