Friday, April 12, 2013

Pineapple Cupcake Recipe





 

 
Summer is almost here!  You know what that means!?  Fresh fruit gallore!  Currently, pineapple is in season, a favorite of my son and husband, and that was the inspiration for this recipe.  So here it is:






Karin's Pineapple Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
  • 2 3/4 cups of flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup of pineapple diced and drained
  • liquid from drained pineapple
  • 1 cup homemade buttermilk (I use Emeril Lagasse's recipe, but I use the white vinegar instead of lemon).

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a small bowl sift the flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.
  3. In stand mixer (or large bowl), cream butter and sugar until well mixed and airy.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next. 
  5. Mix vanilla, buttermilk and drained pineapple juice in a small bowl and mix.
  6. Slowly add in the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture.  I do it 1/3 at a time- making sure it is fully mixed in and I add the milk mixture after the first and second flour addition.  Make sure you start and end with the flour. Beat an additional 1 minute after everything is added to the mixture.
  7. Stir in the drained pineapple
  8. Line a cupcake pan with your favorite cupcake liners.
  9. Scoop an even amount of batter into each cup.  I have an oxo scoop which I believe is the 2 1/4 inch scoop and holds 1/3 cup of batter.  You should have enough for 16 cupcakes. 
  10. Bake for about 16 minutes.  I started checking at 12 minutes just to be safe.  You want them to be golden in color (mine took 19 minutes).  Make sure a toothpick comes out clean, but don't over bake.
  11. While cupcakes are baking make the frosting.
Pineapple Buttercream Frosting (the base is one of Wilton's buttercream recipes that I adapted)
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
32 ounces sifted confectioners sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk (I use 1 or 2 percent)
1-2 tablespoons drained pineapple juice

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter.  Gradually add sifted confectioners sugar a cup at a time.  Beat well on medium speed between additions of sugar.  Scrape sides and bottom often.  When all the sugar has been added, mix in the milk, vanilla and pineapple juice. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refridgerator when not in use.  Refridgerate in an airtight container and it can be stored for 2 weeks.  Rewhip before using after refridgeration. 

Pineapple Topper Decorations
I used Martha Stewarts method for this and it worked very well.  Here are her directions.

Here is Wilton's buttercream recipe.  *Note- I do not like Wilton's other buttercream recipes (that call for meringue powder), unless you are making flowers as a decoration for a cake.  I do not like the taste of meringue powder...just a personal taste preference. 

And here is the finished product

One last food for thought.  I love using fresh fruit and vegetables that are in season when baking or cooking and I use this website to know which fruits and vegetables are in season when. 

Ok, another last food for thought.  The cupcake size I used for these cupcakes is called Taller and measures 2 x 1-3/4.  It is red and is also grease-free, hense the color stayed beautiful.  They are my favorite wrappers of all time!  However, I don't remember where I got them.  I did get the same ones in brown from Charming Creatings and I LOVE them.  This is the perfect cupcake size.  Jumbo seems too big (and requires a special baking pan) and the standard leaves you wanting more.  But, taller...now that's PERFECT!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment