Saturday, April 27, 2013

Organic Salad with Fried Chicken and Organic Strawberries


Do what you preach, preach what you do.  That's the old saying right?  Well in a previous post I reported about the dirty dozen.  In efforts to feel better and live better Lee and I decided to shop organic produce and in season produce last week.  We planned out our meals for the week and shopped together.  It was a good feeling when we looked down at our shopping cart and knew we only bought what we needed for our meals, we shopped organically when possible and bought lots of in season fruits and vegetables. 
With that being said I came up with the following recipe after watching The Chew last week.  Jaime Deen was on and suggested a quick, easy, and healthy idea for making your own dressing.  You take a canning jar and put local honey (good for fighting allergies) and dijon mustard in it and shake it up.  Yum! 
So here is what I did.  First I bought an organic lettuce salad mix at the local grocery store.  Buy which every organic salad mix you like.  I also bought organic strawberries. I couldn't believe how red and plump and delish they were!  And don't forget your Dirty Dozen List and your What's In Season List when you go shopping.  You will also need 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 cutlets. 
There is no real recipe with this one folks, but here is what I did.
I placed 2 eggs in one shallow dish and lightly wisked them with a fork.  Then I seasoned them with salt and pepper.  In a separate shallow dish I placed about 1/3 cup of flour, salt, pepper, and some paprika.  I took my cleaned and trimmed chicken breasts and coated them with flour, then egg wash, then flour again.  Set them aside.  I then placed about 4 tablespoons of Extra virgin Oilve oil in a large saute pan on medium-high.  Once warm I fried the chicken breasts for about 4-5 minutes on each side.  Once done I removed and cut each chicken breast in half.  Each salad was served with a few sliced organic strawberries and half of a chicken breast cut into smaller pieces.  I then drizzled the honey mustard dressing over top.  (*note I did about equal parts local honey and equal parts dijon mustard (1/4 cup each) and seasoned with salt and pepper to make my dressing).  This recipe serves 4 people. 
This recipe was very refreshing and easy to do.  Adapt it by adding your own favorite seasoning to your chicken when breading it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment