Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Speedy Sweet and Sour Chicken

When I say Speedy Sweet and Sour Chicken I don't mean get on the phone to your local Mexican take out restaurant and have it delivered (and pay way too much).  I mean cooked and prepped and cleaned up in a speedy fashion.  This recipe inspiration comes from one of my favorite sites (Tammy's Recipes).  I've found numerous recipes on her site that I love! 

Did I forget to mention that this recipe is also Gluten free (to my knowledge) and made mostly in a crock pot!  Well it is!

Ingredients for the Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 lbs)
2 tsp homemade garlic salt (1 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt (Copy Cat Lowry's Seasoned Salt).  (I omitted the turmeric)

Ingredients for the Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 cup water
2 tbsp organic soy sauce
3 tbsp ketchup

5 cups cooked rice

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Season one side of the chicken with half the dry ingredient mix.  Place the seasoned side down in the crock pot.  Season the tops of the chicken breasts with the other half of the dry ingredient mix.  Yes you rea(lly need it all!  Turn crock pot on high and cook for about 2 hours or until chicken is cooked through 4 hours if chicken is frozen). Remove chicken and cut into pieces.

Place all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small sauce pan over medium high heat.  Whisk until the sauce comes together and is thickened.

I serve this meal over white rice with a side of broccoli.  You can either pour the sauce over the chicken to coat or you can serve them separately and let people dress their chicken and rice with as much sauce as they prefer.  This meal is also good with cubes of pineapple. 

Yes it was that easy and it tastes that good!  Thanks Tammy's Recipes for the inspiration.  Here is the original recipe from Tammy's Recipes.



No comments:

Post a Comment