Sunday, May 5, 2013

Karin's Rhubarb Cupcake

Since winter I've been itching for Spring and Rhubarb season.  I love rhubarb!  Usually I make at least one rhubarb pie a year.  This year I thought I'd try to turn it into a cupcake.  My first batch tasted yummy, but wasn't very strong on the rhubarb taste.  In that batch I had used Rob's Roasted Rhubarb Compote Recipe (as seen in the last issue of Food Network Magazine- with the cinnamon rolls on the cover) and incorporated it into the actual cupcake recipe.  Below I will share his recipe with you and illustrate how I came up with a mighty tasty recipe.
Karin's Rhubarb Cupcake Recipe
 
First start out by making Rob's Roasted Rhubarb Compote (Rob Bleifer).
Cut 9 rhubarb stalks into 1/4 inch pieces.  Transfer to a 13 x 9 baking dish and toss with 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3 pinches of salt.  Roast at 350 degrees until soft, about 25 minutes.  Stir in 3/4 tsp vanilla extract (I forgot that step and I can tell you it's necessary!).  Strain the Rhubarb through a fine mesh sieve 2 times.  Reserve the juice for the cupcakes and a syrup that you can use on ice cream.  Take the remaining rhubarb and run a quick knife chop through it to break the pieces down. 
 
For the Cupcakes:

2 3/4 cups of flour + 1 tablespoon

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

pinch of salt

2 sticks of unsalted butter softened

2 cups of sugar

3 eggs at room temperature

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup homemade buttermilk (I use Emeril Lagasse's recipe, but I use the white vinegar instead of lemon).
 
About 3/4 cup liquid drained from Rob's Roasted Rhubarb Compote

1.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

2.      In a small bowl sift the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

3.      In stand mixer (or large bowl), cream butter and sugar until well mixed and airy.

4.      Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next.

5.      Mix vanilla, buttermilk and drained rhubarb juice in a small bowl and mix.

6.      Slowly add in the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture. I do it 1/3 at a time- making sure it is fully mixed in and I add the milk mixture after the first and second flour addition. Make sure you start and end with the flour. Beat an additional 1 minute after everything is added to the mixture.

7.      Line a cupcake pan with your favorite cupcake liners (I got about 22-24 cupcakes from this recipe).

8.      Scoop an even amount of batter into each cup. I have an oxo scoop which I believe is the 2 1/4 inch scoop and holds 1/3 cup of batter. You should have enough for 22 cupcakes.

9 .  Bake for about 21-24 minutes. I started checking at 18 minutes just to be safe. You want them to be golden in color (mine took 21minutes for standard size cupcake wrappers and 24 minutes for taller sized cupcake wrappers). Make sure a toothpick comes out clean, but don't over bake.

10.  While cupcakes are baking make the frosting.

Rhubarb Buttercream Frosting (the base is one of Wilton's buttercream recipes that I adapted)

1 cup solid vegetable shortening

1 cup butter

2 teaspoons vanilla

6 cups Confectioner's Sugar Sifted (*note that I did not use the full 8 cups of confectioner's sugar as some people said it was too sweet...just depends on your preference).

3-4 tablespoons milk (I use 1 or 2 percent milk)

2 tablespoons drained Rhubarb juice

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter until there is no lumps. Add in the vanilla and mix well.  Gradually add sifted confectioners sugar a cup at a time. Beat well on medium speed between additions of sugar. Scrape sides and bottom often. When all the sugar has been added, mix in the milk and rhubarb juice. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

For best results, keep icing bowl in refridgerator when not in use. Refridgerate in an airtight container and it can be stored for 2 weeks. Rewhip before using after refridgeration.
 
Assembling the cupcakes:
Take the cupcakes and hallow out a small circle in the top.  Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the rhubarb compote into the whole.  Ice with the rhubarb buttercream.  Enjoy.
 
**Take any remaining rhubarb juice and place it in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil.  Once boiling reduce it to a slow simmer.  Simmer until reduced by half.  Enjoy as a syrup on ice cream...yum!  I couldn't just waste it!
 
Here are some pics!




 
Tomorrow they are headed to work with my husband...if they stayed here Lord knows I'd eat them all!  Feel free to let me know if you try out this recipe and what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment