Monday, August 12, 2013

Corn Fritters

Oh my!  Oh Yum!  That's all I have to say.  I was watching The Chew the other day and I saw Michael Symon make homemade corn fritters and he made it look so delicious and easy I just had to try it.  And why not....I had my fryer out anyway!  I did very little adapting of his recipe...mostly just telling you the brands I used and I did change the dipping sauce.  So I still credit this recipe to Michael Symon.

Corn Fritters: (Original Recipe). 
3 cups Organic Non-GMO Canola oil
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill Organic White Flour
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Fine Ground Corn Meal
1 teaspoon Baking Powder (recipe here)
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ground coriander
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 cup Organic Pasteurized Whole Milk
1 1/2 cups Fresh or Frozen Corn Kernels
1 large jalapeno (seeded and minced)- from my garden and oh so good!
1/4 cup sliced organic scallions (green and white parts)
1/4 cup organic unsalted butter, melted
(I did not use...nor did I miss the lime)

Dipping Sauce:
Honey mixed with a small bunch of fresh cilantro chopped

Process:
Heat your oil to 350 degrees. 

While the oil is heating, mix together the dry ingredients.  In a liquid measuring cup, measure your milk and add the eggs to the milk and lightly beat the eggs.  Add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.  With a spatula, fold in the corn, jalapeno and scallions.  When those are well incorporated fold in the melted butter.  Don't over mix. 

Take your metal 1 tablespoon measure and dip it into your hot oil.  Then dip it into your batter and then drop the batter into the oil.  Repeat until you have 4-5 balls in the oil, but don't over crowd them.  Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove and place on a plate with paper towels to drain.  Serve with honey/cilantro dipping sauce.







 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment