Now this recipe calls for baking powder so make sure you use Debbie's recipe for baking powder from the "Battling the MSG Myth" book. To remind you how to make it you simply mix 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup organic cream of tarter, 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill powdered arrowroot. (Store in a glass jar for later use...I use this all the time!).
Standard Pancake Recipe:
In a large bowl whisk together:
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour (can use Bob's Red Mill 100% Organic White flour or even King Arthur's 100% Wheat Flour...they all work and taste great).
- 3 tablespoons of pure cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Debbie's Baking Powder Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
In a separate smaller bowl whisk together:
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Pasteurized (not ultra pasteurized) Whole Milk
- 3 tablespoons Organic Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract (Trader Joes also sells a non-alcohol vanilla extract which works great, but is mighty expensive).
You can mix in blueberries if you'd like.
Spoon 1/3 cup of batter, or less, onto a warm griddle pan. Cook until the top of each pancake is bubbly then flip and cook until the underside is lightly browned.
You can freeze these in containers with the pancakes separated by wax paper. They freeze very well. I usually double the batch and freeze at least half. Yes we love our pancakes.
For a great fall adaptation of this recipe, for one batch finely grate 1 organic sweet potato and fold it into the batter as the last step. Add about 4 big dashes of cinnamon or about 1/8-1/4 tsp. You can also do this with pumpkin puree. Both taste delish!