Saturday, August 17, 2013

Overnight Egg Casserole

Are you looking for a great, easy and very tasty dish to make for a brunch or maybe even Christmas morning.  It's very adaptable too.  I was searching in a gluten free book (Living Well Without Wheat, The Gluten-Free Gourmet) for a gluten free breakfast casserole and came across what looked to be an easy recipe.  However, it called for cheese and I was hoping the casserole would be MSG free and Migraine free so I could enjoy the it too....two birds with one stone.  It also had sausage which I couldn't have.  No problem.  So here is what I did.

I took a 9 x 13 baking pan and decided to make half of the casserole gluten free and half with the homemade MSG and Migraine free bread (I couldn't find a GF bread that is migraine safe or MSG free).  I have a wet erase marker so I labeled the right side of the pan GF and left side non GF. 

I took 100% Sunflower Oil Spray by Winona Pure and sprayed the pan.  Then I took 3 slices of each bread and laid them down on their perspective sides of the dish.  You could insert cheese slices (American or Swiss) on top of each slice of bread...but no cheese for me.  Next took 1 tablespoon of EVOO and put it in a skillet over medium high heat.  I added 1 pound of ground turkey which I seasoned with a mix of 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 scant teaspoon of pepper, 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground coriander.  Cook until fairly cooked through.  Take the meat and layer it on top if the bread.  Next take 6 eggs, a dash of salt and 2 cups of Organic Pasteurized Whole Milk.  Let sit in the covered in the fridge over night.

In the morning turn your oven on to 350 degrees.  Once ready place the casserole in the oven uncovered and bake for 60 minutes.  Take out and serve.  Yummy!  Whether you use gluten free bread or regular bread this was a fabulous recipe. 

You can, like I said above, easily add cheese slices to the recipe or switch the turkey for sausage.  It just won't be MSG free or Migraine free. 

Get creative....this recipe would be good with spinach too. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment