Sunday, August 4, 2013

Peaches and Cream Ice Cream

Holy poop this recipe rocks...if I don't say so myself!  So I had some really ripe peaches I needed to use up...enough cobbler already I think I made that recipe 4 times...and yes ate them all too!  Something refreshing like peach ice cream sounds good to me! 

So I have the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and I have to say it rocks.  Although, we've never tried another one because we've been so happy with this one.  The only thing that would make it better is if it cake with 2 bowls so you can make 2 ice creams one right after the other since you have the equipment and ingredients out. 

Anyway, the inspiration for this recipe came from Curtis Aikens's Food Network Recipe.  Being that I can't have brandy or lemon juice, I just admitted them from the recipe and I think it still tastes great!

Peaches and Cream Ice Cream:

  • 2 cups chopped fresh, organic, ripe peaches (preferably peeled)
  • 1 1/4 cups pure cane sugar
  • 2 cups organic pasteurized whipping cream
  • 1 cup organic pasteurized whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract or Trader Joes non-alcoholic vanilla extract
  • 4 egg yokes
In a bowl combine peaches and 1/2 sugar.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or over night. Before using peaches in ice cream, drain the juice from the peaches (and reserve) and return the peaches to the refrigerator.

In a medium saucepan combine 3/4 cup sugar, milk, heavy cream and vanilla.  Bring just to a boil.  As soon as it starts to boil slide off the heat because it will rapidly boil quickly and you don't want to do that.

In a bowl whisk egg yokes and as you are whisking them add 1/3 of the warm cream mixture to it.  Once mixed, return the cream mixture to the stove and add egg mixture to the cream mixture while continuously whisking.  Heat should be medium high.  Cook until mixture thickens (can coat the back of a spoon).  Once mixture has thickened and returned to a boil, remove from heat and strain.  Add reserved peach juice, cover and refrigerate until chilled through or over night. 

Transfer mixture to your ice cream maker (do not put warm mixture into ice cream maker!) and mix until thickened.  Towards the end mix in the chopped peaches.  Transfer to a Pyrex glass container and cover with plastic wrap before putting the lid on.  Place in freezer to let it firm up more.   Then enjoy!


 
Yummy!  Licking the back of the spoon at 10am when I made this wasn't good enough!  Can't wait to have it later for dessert! 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment