Thursday, August 1, 2013

Parsley Potatoes

The other night my husband and I wanted to do something different for dinner.  Steak it was.  I had bought grass fed organic strip steak (or maybe it was skirt steak...who knows!) from our local grocery store and just needed to find a good recipe to use it in.  That's where Michael Symon's recipe for strip steak with compound butter comes in hand.  I made the whole amount of butter and dry rub that the recipe called for even though I only made one 6oz steak.  I was able to freeze the left over butter and I packaged up the left over dry rub for a future steak. 

Now on to the main event.  My favorite potatoes!  Yummy!  Start by boiling 1 1/2 lbs or red potatoes.  Preferably the smaller ones.  They work better for this.  Meanwhile you make your basic white sauce.  Start with 4 tablespoons of unsalted organic butter and melt in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.  Add in 1 tsp of minced garlic.  Then stir in 4 tablespoons of flour.  I used Bob's Red Mill organic white flour. Once flour is cooked off and you have a sandy texture add in 2 cups of whole organic pasteurized milk.  Whisk continually until thickens.  Add salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2-1 tsp salt and 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper), 3 big dashes of paprika, 1 tablespoon of parsley, 1 tablespoon of fresh diced chives, and 2 dashes of fresh grated nutmeg.  Taste to make sure seasoned well.  Pour over drained and sliced in half potatoes and serve warm...that's if they make it to the table. 

A side of broccoli, the steak and potatoes and it was a perfect meal. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment